Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dinner with Bud

My father and stepmother are making their fall move from their farm in Arkansas to their "fishing shack" in Florida.  They arrived about noon on Saturday and spent the night with us, leaving early this morning.  For dinner we had:

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes (you can do this, right?)

All of these recipes are in the October, 2010 issue of Cooking Light.  Are you seeing a theme here?  When I get the new issue, I immediately try new things!  As the month progresses, I'll use other sources or go back to old favorites.  As a matter of fact, my plan for this coming week draws from a different source every night with nothing from Cooking Light. 

But back to Saturday night.  I've never bought a pomegranate before and I must say I'm not that impressed.  The seeds had a texture that I didn't like that much and I really couldn't taste the pomegranate.  I guess I'll stick to Walter's famous Pomegranate Martinis in the future!

Everything else was great, though.  I chose the Bananas Foster Bread because I'm always on the lookout for good banana bread recipes.  We buy bananas every week and often end up with "ripe" ones that I hate to throw away, even if they do go into my compost.  Plus I figured that I could wrap some up for Daddy and Grace to eat on the road. 

Here's how I started.  I like to get everything out first, what the French call mise-en-place.  That way if I'm missing something, I can make substitutions or go back to the store before I start cooking.  Which happened, by the way, when I started making the Pomegranate-Pinot Sauce.  Who would have thought I'd be out of pomegranate juice?



I've really become a convert to weighing flour instead of measuring it.  So much easier!

My friend Leslie Hanna bought this great yogurt for me - Thanks, Leslie!



And here's the finished product - everyone liked it!











Here's Bud and Grace as they were leaving Sunday morning + a picture of Bud with his brown-eyed girl in her jammies!


No comments:

Post a Comment