Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week of November 28-December 4

It takes nine hours to drive from BR to Memphis.  Walter grudgingly allows a stop whenever I request one, but he makes us get lunch and gas in one place and eat on the road.  So it's a pretty hard nine hours without BR to look forward to at the end.  We got back to Memphis about 4:00 Sunday evening and both of us were dog-tired. I pulled some Costco lasagna out of the freezer and we had that for dinner with some buttered bread.

Monday night I tried a dish that was one of the Cooking Light Reader Recipe winners: Spicy Chicken Sausage Cacciatore on Creamy Polenta.  It was so easy and very good.  This will be a new staple!

Tuesday was Walter's birthday!  We went to dinner at Andrew Michael on Brookhaven Circle.  He had the Maw Maw's Ravioli and I had their lasagna (can't have too much lasagna!)  Theirs has a white sauce instead of a red sauce - different and good.

Wednesday I just sauteed some shrimp in some olive oil and seasoned it with Tony Chachere's seasoning.  He's my relative in some way, you know.  My maiden name is Shassere, so we're different branches of the same tree!  Added a salad and we were good to go.

Thursday.  Oh, man.  I made one of our favorite comfort foods, Beef Daube Provencal.  Just throw away all of your other beef stew recipes, cause this is the one.  Make it and let me know if I'm not right!

Friday (aka International Date Night) we headed over to DCI Gallery for their open house.  Our friend Ami Austin recently purchased the Designers Choice business and she's making lots of great improvements inside and out.  You need to check it out!  Then we went to Grove Grill for dinner. The bar was hoppin' - lots of partying going on in there.  But the dining room wasn't crowded and we had a nice time.  I had the Butternut Squash/Lobster Bisque and couldn't really detect much lobster in it, so I'll have to take their word for it.  And I have to say that I was disappointed in my crab cake.  Usually they're good, but this time it tasted floury, if that's a word.  Walter had the rotisserie chicken and cleaned his plate, so I guess he liked it.

Saturday afternoon we drove over to Jonesboro to visit with Walter's Uncle George and Aunt Margaret.  He's 93 and she's 83, and both are sharp as a tack.  Margaret is an insanely good cook.  She put together a spiral bound collection of her favorite recipes and we started paging through the book while we were there.  I've had a copy that I got about 10 years ago, but it's kinda slipped my mind.  No more.  I'll be getting that baby out for sure.

Saturday night we ate at Salsa and got to catch up with our friends, Ann and Jules Wade.  We sat at their table til our food arrived and thereby avoided eating our usual two baskets of chips and dip!  Then we went to see Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera.  The story line was totally predictable, the acting was so-so and the singing and dancing were spectacular!  The movie ran for an hour and forty minutes and Walter slept for an hour and thirty minutes. 

This morning we got out early and walked the new section of the Wolf River Greenway.  We couldn't go over the new bridge 'cause it doesn't open til this afternoon.  But we got an idea of how it's going to work and it's awesome.  I'm worried about parking, though.  We parked on a street in River Oaks and walked about a block to get there, crossing Humphreys Blvd.  What's going to happen when lots of folks want to be there at the same time?  I guess someone smarter than me is in charge of this.  Wouldn't you know I didn't take my camera.  I'll get some shots next time.

When we got home we put out our Christmas decorations with the exception of the front door wreath which I will go purchase shortly.  Look at this wonderful wreath that we bought at The Last Straw in BR last year on the day after Christmas for half price!


We hung it on the french doors in the breezeway so you can see it from the living room, or even from the front door.  It's 26" across and gorgeous!

Here's the back door.  I'm going to do a front door wreath just like it.  Wish I could find another wreath-hanger like this one.  We got it half price, too.


We don't do a whole lot of decorating because we're not usually here during most of the holiday.  But this year we'll return from BR early as Matthew and Martin are coming in from Seattle for a few days at the end of December.  We last saw Matthew when we went to Seattle in April, but we haven't seen Martin in forever!  He was in Budapest in April, doing a mathematics seminar - very smart guy and we're very proud of him, maybe you can tell.  So we're really looking forward to having all our boys in Memphis at one time. 

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment