Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Week of December 12 - 18

Sunday the 12th we had split pea soup with friends at their house.  I took appetizers and some bourbon balls.  I went retro on the appetizers and took two different ones from the Heart and Soul cookbook:  Chicken-Pecan Bites and Cheese-Filled Phyllo.  Sorry, I don't have that cookbook with me.  If I get time when we get home, I'll copy and post them.  The chicken bites were good.  I even froze some to bring to BR for our Boxing Day party.  Where are they now?  In Memphis, in my freezer...  The phyllo things were too greasy for me.  But I'm posting the recipe for the Bourbon Balls, which were goooood!

Monday I fixed 9-Bean Soup from the recipe on the back of the soup mix (Barzi's.)  I forgot to soak the beans overnight, so I followed a shortcut method I found on the internet for softening the beans.  It didn't work so good.  Note to self:  look at the menu the night before to make sure no day ahead prep is required. 

Tuesday was pretty simple:  pork tenderloin rubbed with a spicy paprika rub, baked sweet potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

Thursday I attended the ArtsMemphis board meeting at the request of my friend Susan Schadt, who is the executive director.  I've been doing some consulting for them on a volunteer basis.  I was surprised and extremely honored when they recognized me as their volunteer of the year.  Really, this is too much.  They were very gracious and I got to meet some of the board members, which I enjoyed.  Thank you, ArtsMemphis staff.  I love working with you!

After I got home, I sauteed some shrimp, shallots, chopped tomato and garlic and made a sauce with marsala, chicken broth, and cornstarch.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Served over linguine.

Friday night we ate at Paulette's then went to see Black Swan.  OMG.  If Natalie Portman doesn't get an Academy Award for this, something is wrong.  Her performance and the movie were both amazing.

Saturday morning we woke up to a "dusting."  My friends in Blowing Rock, and especially my friend Donna in Minnesota, will laugh to see these pictures.  But it was fun - and shortlived - for us Southern folk.


my mailbox
my neighbor's Santa
entrance to my garden

Saturday night was HUGE.  Our friend Barney Rolfes' daughter, Ellie, got married to Rev. Ollie Rencher.  The service was at Grace St. Lukes and was pitch perfect.  They had a full choir from Holy Communion, where Ollie is a priest, and members of the Memphis Chamber Choir.  I felt like I was at St. James, watching a princess get married.  It was wonderful.  The reception was at Bridges.  It was very loud.  But I got a chance to catch up with my "sister from Chicago," Becky B's sister, Taylor, and to meet her husband, Eli.  Fabulous night - congratulations, Ellie and Ollie!

Early Sunday we were on the road to BR for Christmas.  Lots of snow here and more to come - even new snow on Christmas Eve!  I don't do a lot of cooking here, to Walter's dismay, but hey.  Do I ever get a vacation, besides my permanent one? 

Most of you know that Walter plans on being my "number one personal assistant" when he retires.  I suggested to him this week that a good job for him would be to take over the meal planning and cooking duties.  He didn't think that was such a good idea.  We have different definitions for NOPA.

I'm working hard on the Jean Hilton needlepoint project.  I'll post a progress picture when I get the Jessicas finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment